White kitchens have been all the rage for several years now. I put a white kitchen in our new house, and I love it! But, more and more I’m seeing lots of black popping up in kitchens, and it makes me wonder…its black the next big kitchen trend?
As you all know, one of my favorite shows in the world is HGTV’s Fixer Upper. Joanna Gaines has used black in many of her kitchen designs, and it looks beautiful! This is one of my favorites from their bed & breakfast makeover.
They (Joanna and Chip Gaines) also went with black distressed cabinets in their new bakery, and it looks so good!
Here are some other beautiful black kitchens for your viewing pleasure.
Black is certainly lovely in kitchens, but it also looks fabulous in laundry rooms! I’m thinking about doing something like this in our laundry room…
If committing to black cabinets makes you a little squeamish, there are other more subtle ways to add some black to your kitchen. I love the look of black painted doors, like in this white farmhouse kitchen…
And yet another great example of black painted doors is in this incredible dining room makeover from Fixer Upper.
So, how do you make black work in a kitchen? If you noticed in the pictures above, there are several common elements that make them successful. Here are some tips for creating a beautiful black kitchen:
- Keep it from looking dark by using lots of white accents – walls, countertops, backsplash, etc.
- Consider mixing black and white cabinets (black island and/or base cabinets, with white upper cabinets)
- Use natural wood accents to soften the harsh contrast of black and white
- Distressing the black cabinets can also soften the look
- If using black cabinets makes you nervous, consider using a few simple black accents like painted doors, cabinet hardware, or pendant lighting